Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sukiyaki

Tonight I felt like Japanese, so we drove pass ponsonby and searched for a place that looked Japanese...and came across Genki on 282 Ponsonby Road.

There was nothing different or spectacular about this restaurant than any other Jap places. I decided to order sukiyaki as I've never tried it before.

Sukiyaki is a very popular one-pot meal in Japan. The main ingredient is thin sliced beef, and it is simmered in a skillet or pan in the sukiyaki sauce with many vegetables and other ingredients. The word "yaki" means "sautee" or "grill" in Japanese. The word is used because the beef in sukiyaki is sauteed in the hot skillet.

Inside my soup were onions, mushrooms, spring onions, beef, fish cake and vermicelli. The soup was very very salty but I drank the whole bowl because it was so so tasty! My dish came with a bowl of rice and a raw egg in a seperate bowl. I didnt know what the egg was for so I dropped it into the soup and mixed it around! I came back home and search for suki yaki and found out that the egg is for dipping the meat and vege into it and then eating it up! Oh well...next time!

Sukiyaki basically reminds me of steam boat that we have at home or outside but just different in the soup seasoning and perhaps what they put inside but it's exactly like steam boat!



Definately good for the cold winter night!!! I would order that again ;-P However, I prefer Renkon where the dishes are more common, simple and all for just 10 bucks.

Name: Genji Japanese Restaurant

Location:
26 Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby

Price: reasonble
Food: 8.5/10
Atmosphere: 7.5/0
Service: 9/10 staff were friendly

No comments: