Thursday, August 28, 2008

SUn, DvD and Baking!

Today I had a really relaxing enjoyable day baking and watching you've got mail at ken's place with nette and Hsu Lynn.

We baked egg tarts which turned out alright even though the dough was stickier and seems different to when baking at my own place. It's strange but I think baking in other people's place using thier ovens and ingredients can make such a difference! Ok maybe it's just me...need to be more accurate.

After baking the egg tarts, we decided to bake lemon cake because we had a lemoon?? Nette tried looking for other things to bake like...cheesecake....marble cake....but we didnt have some of the ingredients needed. We really wanted to get rid of the lemon and the butter that I melted haha....so so...Nette made Lemon cake which turned out great! Even Ken said it was good hehe..

While baking the cake in the oven, ken was our bartender....making us cocktails and drinks...and Hsu went to get her hair cut and came back for a second hair cut by Nette. I must say..Nette was like a baker and a hairdresser...so anyone wanting haircuts should find her hahaha

When the cake was finally done, I felt like doing something to the plain cake so I decorated the lemon cake with lemon icing to make it look pretty but turned out it was quite sweet. However, ken thought it was just right...I think he has a sweet tooth like me. The sliced lemon on top was just for deco and for the picture. The icing was flowing down frm the cake making it look like an overloaded icing cake.


Even though it looked quite WHITE, when cut it is nice inside and when eaten the texture was just right! Well dong NettE!


So as you can tell...we were pretty much "sweeten" out for the day and me drinking coffee and cocktails with it made me feel like i'm on a little holiday! It was fun..I felt like uni when it was holiday time and we just bummed around enjoying doing nothing and just relax...the best part was the sun was out and I was sitting on the bean bag getting tanned but it got tooooo hot so I migrated to the sofa. I am starting to feel SUMMER is approaching and the smell of BBQs and fish and chips!

For those of you who want the recipe for the egg tarts here they are:

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 pinch salt
• 140 g Butter
• 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 & 1/2 - 2 tablespoons water (just enough to mix and form a nice dough)

Filling:

• 1 cup water
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 3 eggs
• 6 Tablespoon evaporated milk
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 200 Degrees C

Dough:
In a large bowl, mix flour and salt and sugar together.

Blend in butter with a pastry cutter or knife until mixture resemble coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl, beat the egg with the cold water. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture to form a soft dough. Handle lightly don’t knead to get a more flaky crust.

Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

When dough is ready mould them into prepared greased muffin trays or egg tart shells. Depending on the thickness of how you want your pastry shell, divide dough in parts. I divide mine into 12 - 14 using greased muffin trays.

While waiting for the dough prepare the filling

Filling:


In a saucepan over low heat, stir water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Measure 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the resulting syrup and set aside to cool. I put this in the fridge to quicken the process.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Strain once then second time into reserved syrup and mix well. Pour into prepared tart shells or muffin tray.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is set.




YUM YUM taste like thes one in the shops!!

NOTE: Depending on your oven and pastry, I normally preheat the oven once I've prepared to mould the dough into the muffin tray so that the oven does not get too hot to burn the pastry.

No comments: