Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chestnut Flaky mooncakes

I've been making red bean flaky pastries that looks like cookies but it isn't...I've searched to see what they are called and some calls it flaky mooncakes, some calls it piah like tau sar piah and some just calls it baked red bean pastry. I'm still confused as to what it is called and have tried different recipies to get the perfect pastry.

I've thought of many flavours and happened to eye different flavoured paste in the fridge section in a local asian grocery. I bought chestnut paste to give it a try as I've never tasted that flavour before! It's amazing that it used to be just red bean and lotus paste you could find but now I found mung bean, chest nut, black sesame, and wife biscuit paste...it's good because it means that I can bake these little bites without having to make the paste! =D

So here it is, this recipe that I'm trying for the first time somehow gave me really big portions for the dough so the "cookie" looks rather big and my ideal size should only be half that size. However, when cut and eaten it tasted like those in the shops and my husband couldn't wait to get his hands on them!



Recipe

Ingredients

Water dough:
100g All purpose flour
25g caster sugar
40g shortening
40g water

Oil dough:
100g plain flour
40g shortening
15g butter (my usual recipe does not include butter but I'm giving this a try)

Filling:
Any paste of your desire

Directions:

1. Blend Water dough till smooth and divide into 5 portions and set aside to rest for 10 mins
2. Blend Oil dough till it becomes a dough and divide into 5 portions
3. Flatten a piece of water dough and wrap a piece of oil dough in it and roll into a rectangular shape
4. roll it up like a swissroll and turn 90 degree clockwise and flatten again
5. Roll it up like a swissroll again and cut into 2
6. With the side facing down flatten it into a round shape and wrap up filling to form a ball
7. Brush the top with egg wash (which I didn't for this round)
8. Bake in preheated over at 180 degrees for about 20 mins or until pastry looks golden and flaky =D

No comments: