Saturday, June 6, 2009

Corn bread

I've started to enjoy making cornbread ever since I got back from Korea. There was this really nice yellow bread but yet cakey texture that I got while in Korea and I had to find the receipe but at the same time I didn't know what it was??

So I dont know how corn bread came about but ever since I started making one I really enjoyed it and today I tried it with whole kernal corns inside and used less sugar compared to my previous cornbread.


Instead of putting whole kernel corns inside, you can also add cheese, bacon and capsicum depending on the type of taste you want. I prefer the sweet one so I made one with honey and it was produced a crunchy top yummy!

I also used sour cream instead of buttermilk because I had some leftovers in the fridge and it turned out nicely. The type of milk really does bring out a different taste and texture to the bread ay..


The bread turned out more crumbly maybe because I didnt have as much oil or should have used one more egg in the mixture: anyway this is what I used.

Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal flour (I bought mine from foodtown)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
½ cup sourcream (can use milk/buttermilk instead)
1/4 cup oil (or butter)
1 cup whole kernal corn (optional) or you can add cheese capsicums etc

Directions:
1. Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Mix the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, cottage cheese and oil in another bowl.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients.
4. Stir in the corn.
5. Pour into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
6. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes

No comments: