Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Yum" Char at Sunworld!

Sun World in New Market did not used to have dim sum served but only within the last few months they started doing yum char which was definately good news for me!

Today, went to have yum char with Hui Cheng and Steven after an early morning service (still tired). I finally took some pictures of some of the food to help with my blogging ;P
There is nothing different about the food here but nothing bad so that's good.
However, when we thought we had enough something caught my eye.....I thought I eyed ma lai koh (malay sponge cake) and stopped the waitress to put it on our table! I had to have it regardless and am glad I did because it was a special malay sponge cake with some custard layer in between the cake which made it taste rather different. You won't find this dish anywhere else in Auckland or at least not that I know of!

Cha Siew Bao:


Sparibs:


Siu Long Bao:


Octopus:


Fried meat dumplings:


Siew Mais:


Har Gaos:


Lo mai Baos: It's something new I don't see in other yum char places. It's like lor mai gai but wrapped in bao bread:


My favourite part of yum char/dim sum are the "sweet" food!!!
Polo Baos:


Custard type paste inside the polo bao:


The polo bao was a little salty...I still prefer the ones at Grand Park

Lotus paste buns:

Lotus paste creaming out...yum!: The lotus baos reminds me of the ones in Singapore small and the filling is packed inside steaming hot and creamy!


Malay sponge cake: There are layers of some yellow custard in between which made the cake very special. I would order this again anytime!


Banana cream pancakes:


Egg tarts:


Overall I think this is a nice dim sum place to go to. It's central and parking upstairs is discounted if eating in Sunworld. You can also park upstairs of Rialto and get 2 hour free parking by purchasing something from the shops below. Also, they are not so strict in kicking you out like in Grand Park and thier food is reasonably nice and have the usual dim sum favorites.

SunWorld New Millenuim


Location:
2 York St
New Market

I rate it 8/10 overall. You probably need to book because it does get very crowded!

2 comments:

Dr. C said...

mmmm.. this sounds good! I haven't actually gone to a proper Dim Sum place as yet in Auckland. But when I was studying in Wellington ages ago... I used be to be in Love with Regal Restaurant. I think they serve the BEST dim sum....

Sweetcraze said...

Really? Oh I never knew Welly had dim sum hehehehe....i'll have to try it nex time. You so have to try this or Grand Harbour in City or Grand Park in Alexandra greenlane and let me know the difference!