Wednesday, April 9, 2008

At last green tea!

Today I felt like trying to bake using two of my fav food - red bean and green tea hence I decided simply red bean green tea cake??? I couldnt find any green tea powder in the normal super markets but thanks to my Korean friend she gave me a pack hence I can bake

There were so many recipies but I just wanted a simple one using what I have at home.

Matcha (Green Tea) cake
• 1 ¼ cups flour (run through a sifter 2x to make it lighter - I used cake flour)
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon matcha
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil (I used rice bran oil)
• 2 egg yolks, room temperature
• ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 egg whites
• ¼ cup sugar
Red bean paste (from chinese super market)

Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees C. Line a bread loaf tin or muffin tray

Sift together the cake flour, matcha (tea) powder, baking powder and salt. Mix with the sugar.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.

Place the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and whip using a handheld or standing
electric mixer on low speed until they begin to froth.

Once the whites become foamy, begin gradually adding the sugar one tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar is incorporated.

Continue beating, gradually increasing the mixer speed, until stiff peaks form.
Fold the meringue into the mixture in three additions.

Pour the 1/3 of the batter into prepared tin then spread a layer of red bean paste followed by another layer of thin batter to cover it and repeat it again with the red bean paste covered with the batter to finish

And here it is...It is my first attempt, tasted good but I put too much green tea powder so the green tea was very strong but I love the smell of it!

No comments: