Monday, March 23, 2009

Seoul Street food

I absolutely loved my trip to Seoul, Korea for 3 short days! The shopping, food and people there were great! Apart from the typical dishes in korean restaurants like korean bbq, and thier rice and noodle specialities, I thoroughly enjoyed trying the street food. Everywhere you go, they tend to all sell the same food: it's either ricecakes with a sauce that taste a little spicy and kimchi like. They also sell dessert ricecakes everywhere with all kinds of toppings and pumpkin, red bean and chestnuts are very popular fillings. I don't particularly enjoy these as they are very blend and not sweet enough for my liking =)
Some kind of soup with some part of the ox I believe...


Ricecakes with meat dipped in sauce along the streets for passerbys to stop and eat on the spot:




I really enjoyed this: Tteokbokki (Stir Fried Rice Cake)


Sweet potatoes:


Thier street food is really good for those winter days!

Ricecakes (Deok): You can buy these rice cakes in portions, so if you want to feed a big group you can buy a whole cake block instead of a slice like what I did.
Korean traditional cakes have long been shared among neighbors and friends on many occasions of happiness and sorrow. The cake shape, content, and color vary from one region to another. When neighbors gather to share traditional cakes they extend their warmth and kindred spirit to others in the community. Korea people have always made rice cakes when they had tragic or happy moments in their lives. It was usually a considered good or delicious thing, and that is why rice cakes have been so closely related to all walks of life.


I prefer the sweet food from back in Malaysia and Singapore, all the kueys, tarts, tung shui....talking about it now makes me miss it even more!! (Oh must not forget any dessert with durian!!!)

No comments: