Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork)

I enjoy having friends over for a meal because that's when I get to try out new dishes (risking the fact that it may turn out real bad!). I decided to try braised pork because I've never really tried it but really like the taste and the fact I could add in mushrooms and tofu and basically anything that goes with the dish.

I altered the recipe I found on the net and when marinating the pork I overdosed it with pepper!!!!! (So I had to quickly give it a rinse and pray that the dish will turn out fine!)



Ingredients:


600g Pork Belly

Marination:

1 1/2 Garlic Bulb (smashed with the skin on)
3 Tbsp Dark sweet soy sauce
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp of pepper

Oil for cooking
2 Star Anise
2 small cinnamon sticks
1 tsp sugar (to taste)
Water to boil

Chinese mushrooms (soaked/optional)

1) Marinate pork belly (leave in long strips) with the marination over night or for a few hours before cooking.

2) Heat up oil in pot
Fry star anise, cinnamon sticks till fragrant

3) Add in marinated pork to brown

4) Add in one cup of water and bring to boil

5) Let it simmer for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours
If gravy is drying out, just add more water. Likewise if meat is not tender enough, just add water and simmer for a longer time.

6) (optional) Add in mushrooms after 1/2 hour or simmer

7) Add sugar in the last hour and anything else to your taste

8) To serve, cut pork into slices and add gravy to the dish. Garnish with spring onion. Served hot with rice.

No comments: